The challenge will start on the 13th of August and end on the10th of September. To participate in the quest you must first pick a character path to follow. I have chosen Knight.
The basic mechanics of the reading challenge is simple: it’s based on a bingo board (termed The Quest Board for our purposes), each square on the board represents a stage (or reading prompt) you must complete. There is one crucial variation, the path you take on the bingo board is entirely dependent on your chosen Character Class.
For the Character Class selection, you have the following 4 Options:
Along with the separate Character Class quest levels (Purple Squares), the centre of the Quest Board is a conglomeration of Side Quests (Blue Squares)! Complete these challenges to earn extra points and bonus experience for your character.
The books I plan to read are :
Knight Quest -
The First Book of a Series : Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
A Book with a Verb in its Title :
A Book with a Weapon on its Cover :
A Book with a Red Cover : The Elite by Kiera Cass
A Book that has a TV/Movie Adaptation : Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling
These are the Side-Quests I may do if I complete my Knight's Quest
A Book Concocted by 2+ Authors : Take Three Girls by Cath Crowley, Simmone Howell and Fiona Wood
Animal Companion –
Book Referencing an Animal in the Title : S.T.A.G.S by M.A. Bennett (I'm going with it haha!)
Mini Game –
Read a Graphic Novel, Novella or Poem Collection :
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook, or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalised authors. These books will earn your characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn a +50 EXP. You will earn an additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Because I am not interested in employing polynomials or convoluted equations for a reading challenge, I’m going to go ahead and say your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, roleplay with your current character, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HPeach. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
Are you planning on joining The Reading Quest?
Feel free to suggest some books for my Quests 🙂